Creating a Stand alone version of your Servoy Solution is Easy & Fast.
Create A Stand –Alone version of your Servoy Solution
You can create a stand alone version of your Servoy Solution, which can be run on any platform (Windows, Mac or Linux) without requiring you to install Servoy or a relevant Database. In fact it can also be run locally or from a CD. A stand-alone version can be helpful for single-user productive solution and other information rich software.
Servoy offers, “Servoy Runtime“, which can be used to create a stand alone version of your Servoy Solution. The solution will only work for single user and can not be networked. The Servoy Runtime contains a built in Sybase database engine. Therefore, your application will run with Sybase as the backend.
How to Install Servoy Runtime
In Servoy 4.0 and above, the Servoy Runtime has become a plug-in that can be installed while installing Servoy.
Install the Servoy, while installing, and choose the “Runtime Builder” package from the list of packages. It will install Servoy along with the Servoy Runtime plug-in.
Create a Runtime for your Servoy Solution
The solution you wish to create the runtime for, does not need to be currently active in the “Solution Explorer” view of the “Form Design” Perspective. We have to export the solution by using the Runtime Plug-in. Here is the detailed step-
Make sure the “Runtime Builder” option has been checked at the time of Installation of Servoy.
• Click on File -> Export
• Expand “Servoy” Folder, choose “Runtime Builder” from Export Select Dialog (If the “Runtime Builder” option is missing, it means you have not checked the option “Runtime Builder” while installing Servoy. Install the Servoy again with the option “Runtime Builder” checked.)
• Clicking on “Next”, you should see the Servoy Runtime Builder Dialog.
• Select the Solution
• Select the Database File (Should be a Sybase Database File)
• Select the Output Directory, where the Runtime will be created.
• Select the Platform for which you are creating the Runtime for.
• Give your License credentials. (With out specifying the License credentials, the Runtime will only work for 5 Minutes ? )
• Clicking on “Finish” button should create the Runtime for your Solution in the specified directory.
Make sure to copy the Sybase database file used by the solution, that you have created the runtime for, to the database folder of the output directory. While creating the Runtime, Servoy will not able to copy the database file, because the database file will be locked by the database engine. You have to do that manually.
Running your Servoy Runtime Application
Servoy Runtime Builder populates all the required beans, plug-ins, lafs, library files, drivers, and the database file used by the application to the output directory. Make sure to copy the Sybase Database file used by the solution, that you have created the runtime for, to the database folder of the output directory. Follow the below step to run the runtime for your solution.
• Navigate to the Output Directory that you specified at the time of exporting.
• Double click on the “servoy_runtime.jar” should start your application?
• Servoy Runtime requires a Sybase Database. If your application uses any other databases, create a new runtime database (same as other databases) for the runtime.
• Servoy Runtime Application can not be networked.
• Connects to a single Sybase database directly.
• Does not support by the built-in Servoy solution-level security.
• Can be run from a CD or directly on a local computer.